Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Unfinished Bertrand Russell

One of my favorite graphic novels is Logicomix. It's actually really unconventional, as far as graphic novels are concerned. It deals with the life of mathematician and logician Betrand Russell. I will admit though that I don't know much about either subject but they both deal with philosophy, which was one of my favorite subjects in college. It's a really well written book and was my inspiration for my latest drawing.

I was a little hesitant at first to use this specific picture that I found on the internet because it is such a well known image of him. Usually if I'm going to pick pick someone to draw that is famous, or at least well known, I try to get a random or obscure picture of them. It makes it easier for me because then the audience can't associate that popular image of them and see any flaws. But then I thought, not many people have seen this image let alone know who he is.

I reverted back to my old style of ink drawing, using a lot crosshatching which I was trying to get away from. But I kind of like it. And I know I can obviously still do it since this picture looks really similar to the original. I think I might use the same style in the next couple of portraits.

The drawing of him is finished, but the whole drawing is incomplete. I still need to add something around him in the open space to complete it since I did take up two pages of my sketch book.


No comments:

Post a Comment