Thursday, November 18, 2010

Latest Drawings

I've been going back and forth lately in terms of my drawing styles. By that I mean that I'll draw something/someone realistic and then switch it up and drawing something very cartoon-like. I've been experimenting more and more with different styles (crosshatching versus thick bold lines or lines that fade away). I haven't done anything in a long time with ballpoint pen, which I really like. They work almost like a pencil except your bound to your mistakes. I guess I started using them to draw when I was in high school. Since it was really easy to place another sheet of paper underneath my notes or classwork (usually I'd put 2-3 more sheets in between just in case the teacher, or a nosy classmate came by and tried to see what I was doing). And they're cheap. Actually, the cheaper the pen the better it is to draw with. That's because you need to apply more pressure for the ink to come out darker. But anyways, that has nothing to do with the next two drawing I'm posting because none of these next drawings are in ballpoint pen but I think my next one will be.

This first drawing is of a tree in my backyard as 
seen from my window. It's a change for me since I usually draw trees from memory. And also it has more realism than most that I draw. My only regret is that I drew this tree on the other side of my drawing of Bertrand Russell (see post below), and some of the brown bled through the page. Although it isn't really a big deal, but now I probably wont do anything else to it like I had planned since the tree would be ruined.


I've gotten so accustomed to drawing my own hands that I can start a drawing and finish it in a few minutes. But I still have trouble drawing other people's. I don't know why. I think it's mostly because I have my hand right in front of me to reference. A lot of times when I'm drawing someone from a pictures, the proportions can get be off a little. That's why I practice so much drawing my own hands. Here's another drawing of my left hand. This time using two different colors instead of one.




No comments:

Post a Comment