Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mechanical Face (Unfinished)


Just over a week ago, on Halloween of all days, I started a new drawing. I guess you could say that I was inspired by the "holiday" to draw something a little bit on the morbid side. Of course though that would have mostly to do with the non-stop horror/suspense programming that was on display on most of my local television channels all weekend long leading up to the 31st.

So I started drawing this mutilated face (sounds worse when I type it out) that I used to always draw in high school. I don't know why. I think I was inadvertently influenced by H.R. Giger or the Alien movies or something else he did in the 80's or 90's because alot of my doodles (btw, I hate that word) had that organic/mechanical combination that he was so good at. I don't even like mentioning him, because in no way am I trying to mimic or copy his work or his art style.

My original intention wasn't to add all of the machine-like pieces throughout the drawing. I was going for a more organic feel. When I started it, I was actually hoping to finish it the same night. But it's now been over a week and I've gone back and forth erasing alot of what I had originally started. And now I'm going to completely fill in both pages. My view of what I was supposed to draw changed drastically. But then again that's usually what happens. I go in with no real vision or goal in sight.


Obviously it's not done yet. Like everything else on here it's just a rough draft and I'm going to either post the completed work the next time, color and all, or a version in between in ink. I'm trying to finish up all the rough pencil work by this Thursday night. Ever since the Koh-I-Noor pens I've been wanting to get have received a significant price drop they've been out of stock.... And literally, just as I wrote that last sentence they moved the date up on when they will be in stock again. Oh well, at least that saves me 2 train rides and about 3 hours (round trip) to get into Pasadena to get them...

No comments:

Post a Comment